Nursing Voices

Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Princess Nurse and Steven Jobs

A few months ago, my beloved Apple laptop had an identity crisis. It forgot it was a Mac and it started acting like a PC. I had a rotten Apple. Nurses will do anything to get their patients onto the road to recovery, and I decided to do the same for my ailing Mac.

I sat down and wrote a letter to Apple, but I wasn’t sure who to send it to. Apple is a huge corporation with offices all over the world. Nurses aren’t shrinking violets, so I decided to send my letter to Apple’s CEO, Steven Jobs. I learned a long time ago not to be intimidated by someone’s title, and that you have to ask for what you want. I knew that secretaries working for big corporations usually read the mail and deal with customer complaints. What I didn’t know was that Mr. Jobs likes to read his own mail.



I got a phone call five days after I had sent my letter off in the mail. The caller identified himself as Mr. Job’s personal assistant. He said that Mr. Jobs had read my letter and wanted to “make things right.” Apparently Mr. Jobs cringed when he read that my Apple was booting up like a PC. We talked for a few minutes, and made arrangements to have my computer repaired free of charge. I was walking past my husband’s office when he asked me who had called. He blinked with surprise when I told him what happened. My prince was proud of me. After all, I am his Princess Nurse.





Thank you, Mr. Jobs! I love my Mac.

12 Comments:

Blogger Ms. Laaw-yuhr said...

OK, that is just incredible. Seriously. MY dell is acting all hinky refusing to connect with any printer and I dream of such a story like yours rather than hours on the phone with tech support (but in all fairness the Dell people are pretty good) and will usually come to your house if you can't get it fixed over the phone.

3:09 PM  
Blogger Juliette said...

Cool... That's calld reaching for the top...
Next time you talk to Steve or someone near him, could you please just mentin this in passing: http://www.greenpeace.org/apple/
Thanks!

3:23 PM  
Blogger Iris said...

Well, not a Mac user.....that is a whole different story, but.....GOOD GAME!! Way to go, Mother Jones!

6:07 PM  
Blogger ChristopherM said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:30 PM  
Blogger ChristopherM said...

I have promised myself a shiny new MacBook in January if I manage to place in the top 10 in my class after my first semester of law school. I have no idea how I would afford it, but given that I'm taking a peek at my favorite blogs the night prior to my last final exam of the semester, it isn't likely I'll have to fulfill that promise. :)

Go Mac! I want to ditch my PC ASAP!

9:32 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

Hey, you have inspired me to write Bill Gates about my stupid PC! (But somehow I don't think I'll get the same response, heh heh!)

9:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, baby - Mac is the way to go! When my son found out that a student promotion was due to start two days after he bought his Mac, he wrote to Apple and asked if he could have the promotion.

The assistant who called told him "Steve said to give you the iPod."

God, I LOVE MY MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4:56 AM  
Blogger GaffLady said...

that is AWESOME!!! go straight to the top...can only get a winning response.

11:16 AM  
Blogger poody said...

You Rock Mother Jones!!

11:38 AM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Good for you, MJ!

2:43 PM  
Blogger Kris said...

Nice "Job"s, MJ! As a fellow Mac geek (newly reformed just a few months ago), I not only appreciate the product, but the company's service. And, I can TOTALLY appreciate your boldness in getting done what you need done. People won't know what we want unless we ask, right! Bravo!!!

8:24 PM  
Blogger Gerbil said...

Heh. I'm just now catching up on your blog because my silly PC got a supposedly harmless virus... then pretty much hosed itself and forced me to spend the weekend reinstalling Windows.

But, Nurse, you have inspired me. Next time I will not sit on hold with Microsoft tech support for 2 hours before hanging up in disgust. I will write to Bill Gates and give him a piece of my mind!

2:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home