Nursing Voices

Thursday, January 03, 2008

Invega Popcorn Review

My favorite drug rep works for Johnson and Johnson. He learned from our psychiatrist that we didn’t receive anything for Christmas from our hospital administrator, Mr. Grinch, so he came to our unit bearing gifts. What a great guy! He gave us a Christmas card along with a big box filled with pens, notepads, paperclip holders, clocks, and clipboards. We loved all of his gifts, but we were especially delighted to receive Johnson and Johnson’s new goodie, Invega popcorn. Our drug rep knows that nurses love to eat because we always whine at him if he doesn’t bring in Risperdal popcorn . We all looked forward to popping up some bags of the new popcorn after the patients turned in for the night, but our enthusiasm for the popcorn quickly went up in smoke.


Unfortunately, I must give the new popcorn a thumbs down. My opinion has nothing to do with the popcorn’s lack of active ingredients (see disclaimer printed on the side of the bag). I don’t like the popcorn because of all of the old maids. Unlike the Risperdal popcorn, the kernels in the Invega popcorn are old, and they won’t pop up. One nurse kept trying to re-pop the old maids, but had to stop when the paper popcorn bag started burning in the microwave oven. Security wasn’t happy when the smoke detector was activated. Neither was the fire department. Enough said.

We still love our drug rep, and we sent him a thank you note for his thoughtfulness. I’m sure that he didn’t know that he was giving us a fire hazard as a Christmas gift.

11 Comments:

Blogger Gerbil said...

Too bad they don't make Invega Truffles!

But if they do, I'm coming to your place.

8:48 PM  
Blogger GuitarGirlRN said...

I love that you call unpopped kernels "old maids." That's a new one for me!

12:58 AM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

I have never heard of the stuff....guess I am not missing much.....just wanted to stop in to wish you a Happy New Year...and all the best...and keep on posting girl...I love your blog...

1:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love your blog too!

7:19 PM  
Blogger AtYourCervix said...

You're lucky to be able to make microwave popcorn in your facility. Where I work, it's been banned, due to it setting off smoke detectors one too many times (which sends an automatic alarm to the fire company).

In fact, if you microwave popcorn where I work, you will be fired if it invokes the fire alarm and fire department. Something about us getting fined for false fire alarms, or something.

2:21 PM  
Blogger Yolanda said...

Our hospital didn't give us anything either. I just found your blog and will be returning often. I am also an RN for 24 years.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

Oh that was nice of the rep...old maids and all.

Happy New Year Mother Jones.

10:02 AM  
Blogger Anne said...

I notice the bag says "contains no active drug," but I was enjoying imagining antipsychotic popcorn. Maybe Janssen could branch out, do anxiolytic potato chips, a Ben and Jerry's SSRI Swirl, piperazine pretzels?

Happy new year!

1:22 PM  
Blogger surgicalsweetone said...

We've been trying find a way to pipe Paxil plume into the surgeons lounge for years. If any of you double as engineers let me know!

10:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi,i have read your article.i really liked it.i know one more resource related to your article. To look that additional information you can follow the link Online Hytrin .I think that will interest you too.

4:22 AM  
Blogger Janna G said...

You may have to try a new batch. I have enjoyed Invega popcorn and it always pops up well for me--better than even Orville Redenbacher. Every time I pop it the bag nearly bursts because it is so full. Everyone in my office loves the stuff.

10:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home