Nursing Voices

Saturday, December 22, 2007

No Patients at the Inn

Look at this. Christmas time means toys, and there is no better toy than a vintage nursing kit. Vernon at Nursing Pins sent me an email about this item, and I wanted to share it with you. I had a nursing kit just like this one when I was a little girl, except I don’t remember my hot water bottle looking like the one found in this kit. The hot water bottle in this kit didn’t grow old gracefully. I shop the Internet all of the time looking for vintage nursing items, and I think that Vernon has one of the coolest sites on the web. Vernon said that he would give anyone 10% off any item if they mentioned Nurse Ratched’s Place at the time of purchase. I don’t usually promote online shopping sites, but Vernon’s website is too cool to pass up. Go check it out.



Christmas time also means having a low census on my unit, and nothing says Christmas like an empty psychiatric unit and a night of blogging. I’m blogging from home tonight because my unit closed down after we sent our last patient home this afternoon. I love this postcard. It was given to me by one of my coworkers. The young lady in this picture is enjoying a holiday evening with her family thanks to Prozac. She knows that it just takes a little bit of planning to get through the holiday season. People generally don’t want to be admitted to the hospital just before Christmas, and who can blame them? They want to finish their Christmas shopping, and hospital food just can’t measure up to a home cooked Christmas meal. Unfortunately, Christmas cheer quickly evaporates on December 26th when people swarm the emergency room. Post Christmas shifts can really get chaotic, but it won't be a problem for me this year because I’m taking the day after Christmas off. Like I said, it just takes a little bit of planning to get through the holidays season.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

8 Comments:

Blogger Smalltown RN said...

So do you think most of us older nurses had one of those sets when we were kids....I loved mine....actually to be honest mine was a doctors kit because it came with the black bag to put all your medical stuff into.....

Like you I am now on holidays until the New Year....yipee!!! I really didn't want to have to deal with the overdoses and heart attacks this year. Merry Christmas and all the best to you and your family.

11:14 AM  
Blogger Jenn Siva said...

Can you give us a link to the site?

I worked Thanksgiving this year. One of my patients cried because her parents went home to have Thanksgiving dinner and she was all alone in the PICU:) I wont be there for Christmas. I almost wish I were so I could keep those families company.

1:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I will keep your hobby in mind, if I come across something vintage. smile

Have a Merry Christmas.

4:33 PM  
Blogger The Angry Medic said...

Ooh same here Momma Jones. If I get something from the site I'm quoting your blog name.

Thanks for the quick email reply, too - I'll write again soon. Merry Christmas and a Happy Noo Yer!

5:55 PM  
Blogger Amrita said...

Glad there are no patients in the inn.
Enjoy your time out. The vintage nursing kit is so good.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Kacey said...

I feel deprived. I never had a nursing kit. My Dad planned for me to be a Latin teacher, but I didn't want to teach---so I ran off and got married at seventeen. When I was forty and my kids were almost college age, I screwed up my courage and went to nursing school. I loved it and still do --- even though I am older than dirt and no longer work. But,.... I read all the wacko blogs about nursing. Keep it up!

11:11 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

Never had a nursing kit...had a weird 1950s black-bag doctor's kit, though, like smalltown rn (this was during the late 80s, so I'm not sure why my toys were so old-fashioned).
Merry Christmas, Graduation Congratulations and Happy New Year!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Barbara Kivowitz said...

Better than Prozac, with immediate gratification. Check this out:

http://public.aregner.com/bubblewrap.swf

And if that's not enough, here are some holiday mood lifters I listed on my blog:

http://insicknessinhealth.blogspot.com/2007/12/new-years-gifts-for-you.html

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home