Nursing Voices

Wednesday, January 30, 2008

It's a Fact: Middle Age Sucks

This is Maxine. She’s my role model. Just wait until my kids try sticking me into a nursing home. They’ll never see what hit them.

I found this yesterday while I was visiting my favorite blogging attorney at Second Effort. Scientists have proven that Middle Age makes us depressed. Well, duh! I’d like to know who was silly enough to fund that project. I guess that Thomas Tusser was right when he said that a fool and his money are soon parted.



Why can’t they fund studies like this one:


This study makes more sense. What do you think?

When you’re done scratching your head and trying to figure out how these scientists procured their research funding, check this post out. Amy Quinn from Live Smarter talks about the ten terrible patients you meet in a hospital, and how to deal with them. It's good stuff, and she didn't need a research grant to figure it out. Then go visit Kim at Emergiblog for Beatle's Week at Grand Rounds. You're going to love it! Yeah, yeah, yeah!!!

7 Comments:

Blogger Awake In Rochester said...

Once when Arnold schwarzenegger was interviewed, he said that he will live to be 120 years old. He said he believed that because he took care of his body, plus the miracle of modern day medicine. I figure 60 would be middle age. I'm in my 40's, so I have a ways to go. Isn't denial grand!

4:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just wanted to say that I enjoy reading your blog.

6:33 AM  
Blogger Doc's Girl said...

I love the cards with Maxine...I always get them. :-P

6:10 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

I suspect that is exactly what Pavlov's cat would have said....

7:05 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Hooray for Maxine!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Doreen Orion said...

I saw that study, too - was all over the news (obviously, a lot of journalists are middle-aged). I think it's natural to start taking stock of your life when you hit your 40s. You can't help wondering, "Is this all there is?" For many, that's pretty depressing. My husband and I went through this ourselves and since we're both shrinks, also saw it in our practices. (My husband's solution was to buy an incredibly powerful-engined vehicle. He's sort of the poster boy for the Y chromosome.) But, I agree: seems to be much better stuff to spend money on that studies like this.

5:47 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Yeah, getting older is not for sissies, that's for damn sure. But the alternative is much, much worse.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home