Nursing Voices

Monday, June 04, 2007

Tall Corn Country



Hi everyone. Just wanted you to know that I made it to Iowa in one piece. The flight wasn't bad if you don't mind traveling like a sardine packed in a can. Sheesh! Whatever happened to flying the friendly skies? Word to the wise, eat before you travel on a plane. They don’t even serve you peanuts anymore.

Things sure haven't changed much since I moved to the big city. It was a long drive from the airport to get to my mom’s place. I’m blogging from my mom’s computer. She’s my editor and chief proofreader. Scalpel, you're right. There's corn growing everywhere. Its well on it's way to being knee high by the Fourth of July.

Well, I’m going to visit with the kinfolk for a little while, and then I’m going to bed. In the meantime, read these fun facts about my home state.

The state bird of Iowa is the goldfinch, which should not be confused with any criminal masterminds who tried to kill James Bond.

The 31st president of the US - Herbert Hoover - was born in West Branch, Iowa. This is a fact that Liberals living in Iowa would like to forget.

The state song of Iowa is "Corn! Corn! Corn!", which consists entirely of people singing the word "corn" for 5 minutes, and was the inspiration for Monty Python's "Spam" sketch.

Burlington, Iowa is home to Snake Alley, the crookedest street in America, which rates an impressive 9.5 on the Haliburton crookedness scale.

Cedar Rapids, Iowa is home to the world's largest breakfast cereal company - Quaker Oats. I grew up in Cedar Rapids, and thanks to my childhood, I can't look at a bowl of oatmeal in the morning.


Check in tomorrow and I'll show you around the place. Let's have some fun in the middle of nowhere.

7 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Glad you made it safely and I'm looking forward to some more blogging from your home state. Have a great time!

10:11 PM  
Blogger Shig said...

I'm glad you made it. Have some corn, corn, corn for me. BTW, why does you map of Iowa look like it borders an ocean? Are they trying to fool the tourists?

11:29 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

Imagine my surprise to read your post tonight.
I'm about 50 miles away in Waterloo.
I've been enjoying your blog and passing things of interest on to my SIL who is a local nurse.
Enjoy your visit...and you say 'middle of nowhere'? Ha!

I like to think we are further south of the middle of nowhere.

11:37 PM  
Blogger Shannon said...

And then she reads the previous post and realizes that you are not in CR but Clarinda which is a whole lotta ways away from W'loo.

Okay, so I'm in the NE middle of nowhere...you're further south!

Anyhoo, enjoy!

11:42 PM  
Blogger alphabet soup said...

Here I am eating a sandwich made of cornbread and reading about Iowa and corn. Kinda fitting eh?

Ms Soup

11:45 PM  
Blogger Donna. W said...

What about Mt. Pleasant and the Old Thresher's Reunion? Who could miss THAT? We go at least every other year!

9:13 AM  
Blogger poody said...

I thought the crookedest street was Lombard in San Francisco! Go figure! I love the state song and doesn't the southeatern tip of the state look like the tip of Texas a little bit? There are a lot of pigs in Iowa too. I once saw a pig condo I kod you not. A high rise of pigs!

11:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home