Nursing Voices

Monday, May 28, 2007

Memorial Day

I love a lobster feast. It looks good, too. There’s nothing better than lobster and Coke. Too bad I’m not going to barbeque today. I’m going to work. I know I should stop whining. Nobody held a gun to my head to make me sign up for the extra shift, and I’m getting paid double time and a half for working on a holiday. Yes, I sold my soul to the health care devil, at least for today. I wonder if the typical Memorial Day weekend crowd is starting to drift into the hospital yet. The ER gets swamped with all kinds of injuries related to the holiday. They treat burns, cuts, and sprains, and unfortunately we can always count on someone falling out of a boat and drowning. That’s always a heartbreaker, especially if the victim is a kid. We get the drunks on psych. People who drink too much during the holidays get depressed, or turn into fighters, and they end up on my unit. I love it when they come up from the ER trying to “float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.”

Not on my shift. Kindly take your Haldol and go to sleep, thank you very much.


Enjoy your day off.

9 Comments:

Blogger Amrita said...

Memorial Days will come and go but you taking care of the floating butterflies and stimging bees will go down in history. Hope it turned out peaceful...not too hectic.

8:48 AM  
Blogger Amrita said...

Sorry I meant stinging bees

8:49 AM  
Blogger Doc's Girl said...

I love the overtime you get from working holidays...but I did not like working in the ER the Monday (or in this case Tuesday) after a holiday--that's when patients come in pairs...! :)

2:14 PM  
Blogger Dr. Dorree Lynn said...

This blog warrants its own syndicated tv show. Very funny.

Can I play the Shrink?

Dr. Dorree Lynn
http://fiftyandfurthermore.com

6:03 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Well sold my soul last weekend...it was a long weekend here....they've called my for overtime twice today....my manager left a message on my phone...."I'm calling to see if you would like the privilage of transporting a patient" this isn't just any transport...this is sitting in the back of a ambulance for 6 hrs...no thank you...not even at overtime....

Happy Memorial day

10:41 PM  
Blogger Shig said...

Ohhh, now I want lobster and coke for breakfast. Curse you Mother Jones! I get to work 4th of July-whoopee.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Hey there Dr. Dorree Lynn:

Thanks for stopping by. Sure you can play the Shrink in Tv's newest sitcom if I can play the cranky old psych nurse. Sometimes art really does imitates life.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Forgotten Blue Line said...

I had to work Memorial Day and I really thought it was going to be a bad day. It wasn't bad, but I had to work over 100 hours this week. Hope your holiday went well.

9:51 PM  
Blogger Ms M said...

I used to be an ER clerk at a trauma center. How well I remember holidays and those hot summer nights when people would get wasted and do really stupid things to themselves and others. Not to mention the typical holiday accidents.
I enjoy reading your site and your take on the health care business. Keep up the good work.
BTW, have a good trip to the midwest--that's where I'm from, too. :-)

1:50 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home