Nursing Voices

Monday, June 11, 2007

A New Doc on the Block

Here’s another book from my personal collection. I know that some people think that collecting this type of book is inane, but everyone needs a hobby. This book was first published in 1968.

“For one reason or another, Doctor Mark Bayfield had managed to get on the wrong side of every member of the Kinglake family before he had even started his new job at Northmoor Hospital. So wasn’t it going to lead to trouble when he turned out to be the only doctor who could get to the bottom of the young Gwenny Kinglake’s illness?"

The handsome Doctor Bayfield had his work cut out for him. It’s hard being the new doc on the block. Of course Doctor Bayfield marries young Gweeny after he saves her life, and they all live happily ever after. Look at Gweeny smile. It’s harder for other doctors who come to new facilities. After all, not every doctor has the opportunity to marry the boss’s daughter after he snatches her from the jaws of death.

We have a new medical director starting on our unit and I’m very anxious to see how he fits into the grand scheme of things at our hospital. I’ve met him once a few weekends ago, and he seems to be very nice. I walked up to him and introduced myself as the weekend nurse who will be calling him at all hours of the day and night when he is on call. He just stared as me. Oh for Pete sakes Doc, I’m just kidding, well kind of. He’s taking over our unit very soon, so I apparently didn’t scare him off.


I wonder if anyone told him that the nurses expect him to bring in donuts on his weekends to work. Maybe I should print up a copy of the help wanted ad I placed on my blog and put it in his mailbox at work. (Hint-hint.)

I’ll keep you posted on our new doc’s orientation to the unit.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bo... said...

The "collecting" type of hobbies are fun! I collect ruby slippers (a la "The Wizard of Oz"), paint pony statuettes from "The Trail of Painted Ponies", "little" clocks, and yarn (of course). My problem is where to put them all....

9:02 PM  
Blogger daisythemoomobile said...

Hi Crazy Aunt! How are you? Glad you got to visit everyone. I'll have to plan some road trips in the next few years - I've gotten a lot of visiting requests from various family members. :) My new job is going good - much better than the old one and I might go back to school in the winter.
LOVE you!

10:17 AM  
Blogger poody said...

I always loved Cheri Ames books. She was a student nurse who worked at places like ski resorts and the like! Those donuts are making me drool all over the keyboard!

11:19 AM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

oh I like your approach with the new director...good for you....

8:39 PM  
Blogger alphabet soup said...

I read this post ( and smiled) about the new medical director and the 'donuts at weekend' expectations and thought immediately of the post you wrote about a former colleague who, if my memory serves me correctly, went off to Iraq and wondered whether anyone had ever heard from him. He seemed to be a lovely chap from your description of him

Ms Soup

8:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home