Nursing Voices

Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Give Me That Old Time Rock And Roll

I’ll give that song a ninety-five; it has a good beat and it’s easy to dance to.

When I was a girl growing up in Iowa, I remember watching American Bandstand with my mom every Saturday morning. We would watch the show on our small screen, black and white TV, and Mom would adjust the rabbit ears on the antenna as I danced around the living room in my bare feet. Mom and I listened to the music and critiqued the latest fashion trends. We both loved poodle skirts. I remember my favorite song was something about a one-eye-one-horn-flying-purple people eater. Yes, really! As the years passed the music changed, and I now have a long list of music favorites. I’ve been tagged, and these are my seven favorite songs.

Angel: by Sarah McLachlan. Don’t ask me why I like a song that makes me cry. Even nasty Simon Cowell loves this song.








Just to be Loved: by Al Jarreau. Listening to smooth jazz while sipping a glass of wine. It's heaven.







Peacekeeper: by Fleetwood Mac. This is the best anti-war song recorded since Woodstock.








Imagine: by John Lennon. World Peace.








Sad, Sad, Sad: by the Rolling Stones. I like it because it’s loud, loud, loud!








Simply Irresistible: by Robert Palmer. Cool clone chicks.




Bolero: by Maurice Ravel.
Do I really need to explain this one?








Scapel, you're tagged and so is anyone else who wants to play:-)

6 Comments:

Blogger ChristopherM said...

I love the 80s. No wonder I feel so old in law school...I'm with all these 22-year-olds, and only one of my favorite songs was recorded in the past 15 years!

1. "You Spin Me Round (Like a Record)" by Dead or Alive
2. "Bizarre Love Triangle" by New Order
3. "Rock Lobster" by the B-52s
4. "How Soon Is Now" by the Smiths
5. "Suedehead" by Morrissey
6. "Being Boring" by the Pet Shop Boys
7. "Venus" by Bananarama
8. "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me?" by Culture Club
9. "Invisible" by Alison Moyet
10. "Like a Prayer" by Madonna
11. "Believe" by Cher

12:24 AM  
Blogger kate loving shenk said...

hey!! music is everything!!

just discovered your blog--

wondered if you'd like to check out my blog:

http://nursehealers.typepad.com

tell me what you think!!

kate loving shenk

10:46 AM  
Blogger Sid Schwab said...

Good list. I'd expect no less from a person mature enough to have watched Dick Clark on a black and white TV.

12:04 AM  
Blogger Little Black Car said...

My dad used to sing the Purple People Eater song all the time. It's sort of a running family joke.

Did you know it was written/sung by Sheb Wooley, the cowboy actor who played the guide on Rawhide? Bizarro.

***

I was always 20+ years behind in musical taste. I grew up in the Eighties but all the music I know from then I know because they played it at the roller rink where I used to go with my friends.

9:47 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

What? No Elvis? No Neil Diamond? What about Tommy Roe? Where is Bobby Vee? :-) I can relate.... Sighhhhhhhhh :-)

10:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home