Nursing Voices

Friday, September 22, 2006

Here Comes the Bride

There’s a tradition on every nurses station when a nurse gets engaged. You know the drill, the bride-to-be prances into the nurses station and whips out her hand, revealing her engagement ring. Then, with great fanfare, everyone at the nurses station starts jumping up and down, and squealing with delight. Soon after, there’s a stack of wedding magazines spread around the nurses station as preparations for the big day begin.




After watching this tradition for many years, I’ve learned a bride must possess three qualities when planning a modern wedding: she must be organized, have nerves of steel, and very deep pockets. But thanks to Vera Wang, a popular wedding gown designer, planning a wedding is now easy. Wang not only designs stunning wedding gowns with equally stunning price tags, she has a full line of wedding products to meet your every need.




To make planning easier, Wang sells her own line of china, crystal, flatware, footwear, lingerie, cosmetics and perfume, and jewelry. Needless to say, none of this stuff is sold at Ikea, so you can expect to go broke if you buy Wang’s products. And remember, no wedding is complete without an expensive honeymoon, and for $4,000 a night, the happy couple can stay in the Vera Wang suite at the Halekulani resort in Waikiki, Hawaii.




Every time I see a stack of wedding magazines in the nurses station, I toss a Home Depot catalog on top of the pile, and tell the bride-to-be that if she picks out a ladder, I’ll buy it for her so she can elope. So far, no one has taken me up on my offer. Maybe they would if Vera Wang designed hardware.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I love your cleverness!

9:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on the Home Depot thing!

btw ... I love the nurse wedding cake topper!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Andrew McAllister said...

You have to admit it IS fun to dream ... and I have to admit, in this case it IS outrageously expensive. Your insights are true as always :o)

Have a great weekend,
Andrew

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love your wit! You made me laugh inside. I am soo for the Home Depot Approach!

But then, I have never been married, myself! And I have only been to a couple of weedings.
Hey, I say take the wedding money and travel the world, or simply feed it!

You rock,

Elena (amiga of Keith the Nurse)

10:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and when somebosy takes on your offer. i'll share with the ladder expense :)
thing is, as time goes on, the wedding gets more important than the marriage. sad.

12:28 AM  
Blogger Dr. A said...

I did see a Home Depot gift card on a bridal registry once -- just kidding. Funny post. Nice job!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Deacon Barry said...

We've just been through the whole wedding thing on the ward, with one nurse getting married and two others doing the organising. We had the bridal shower in the hospital lounge (yes I was there!)
The reception was in a club in the middle of Edinburgh. I wore my tuxedo. They didn't manage to get me into a kilt. I did lots of dancing that night. My bowtie ended up on the floor - it was a good night!

7:06 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Lea: Thank you for the compliment. It's high praise coming from a writer like you.

Andrew: Thanks for dropping by. Do your readers come to you for advice about ways of planning a stress free wedding?

Elena: Thanks for your kind words, and drop by again.

Howdy May: Your right about weddings becoming more important that marriages. So many brides get depressed when the wedding is over. Sad, isn't it...

Dr. A. I knew a couple that built a house after they got married. The registered for wedding gifts at Home Depot. I bought them a power saw:-)


Decon Barry: No kilt? Sounds like you had fun.

11:21 AM  
Blogger Deacon Barry said...

Eeek! (vainly tries to cover his modesty)
I did have a pair of trousers on.
I have worn a kilt in the dim and distant past, but at present I do not possess one.
When I do, I will, of course wear it with its traditional accoutrements: sporran, hiking boots and Heavy Metal T-shirt.
If you think I'm joking, come to Edinburgh in the summer. If you wear that, walking along Princes Street, no-one will pay any attention to you.

4:59 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

I've never been out of the US, and I've always dreamed of taking a trip to the UK. Edinburgh sounds like fun. I'll bring the Heavy Metal T-shirt if you wear the kilt.

6:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home