Nursing Voices

Sunday, September 24, 2006

An Old Dog Learning New Tricks

I just started learning about blogs a few months ago, and I’m still learning new things about the blogosphere everyday. Emergiblog is one of my all time favorite nurse blogs, and I want my sidebar to look like emergiblog's, but I don't know what to do. Where do all those cute little icons like “My Yahoo” and “newsgator” come from? And what is a RSS feed and how do blogs get hooked up to them? How do you increase traffic on your blog? In a modified version of Dr. McCoy’s famous Star Trek quote, “I’m a nurse, not a computer geek.”

Is there anyone out there willing to help an old dog err... nurse learn some new tricks about blogging?

6 Comments:

Blogger Deacon Barry said...

I know how you feel. I'm in the same boat. I want a blogroll, but blogger doesn't provide one. I've just borrowed 'The Idiot's guide to creating a website' from the library. Everything's done with HTML. I just started it on Wednesday, and already I can see how I might be able to construct what I want. It seems pretty straightforward.
If we want stuff in your sidebars, we're going to have to learn this HTML stuff. But hey, we're nurses, we can do anything!

4:44 PM  
Blogger GaffLady said...

i don't know either! hoping kim will stop by with some advice.

10:50 AM  
Blogger Tracy said...

Actually, once you go to the blogger, beta version. It's much easier. They provide a templete, close to what you use now, and you can add elements with a "what you see is what you get," point, click and drag tool. For adding more specialized things into your blog, will need at least a passing knowledge of HMTL. Many many good books out there on the subject. Most of them even break it down so anyone can write a web page. Check out amazon for some used copies if you dont want to buy them new. The system doesnt really change, HTML is HTML, it's just learning to use some of the fancy tricks that evolves.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Pennsylvania Independent said...

I am just relearning HTML, myself. I studied this a little in high school, when it was a newfangled program.

4:04 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

With a little bit of help from my friends, and the book "Blogging for Dummies," I figured things out. Thanks everyone for your help.

8:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home