Nursing Voices

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Nurse Twiggy

Do you remember Twiggy? For those who don’t, she was the 1960s supermodel who made anorexia chic.

I got a phone call from one of my nursing colleagues today. She said that one of my patients, who couldn’t remember my name, said I had ruined her life. While caring for this patient last weekend, I set boundaries, put limits on my patient’s self-destructive behavior, and wouldn’t put up with her temper tantrums on the unit. Wow, how awful of me. My friend told me that while my patient was decrying my “deplorable behavior” to the other nurses this morning, she kept referring to me as “the skinny nurse.” After a bad weekkend, the phone call made my day.

I’m old, my hair is turning gray, and I am in desperate need of Jenny Craig therapy, but for today, I am the skinny nurse. Call me Nurse Twiggy. Sometimes, life is good.

5 Comments:

Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

LOL! I only hope that the rest of your day is even better Nurse Twiggy :-):-)

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

being called miss twiggy will make my day too :)

3:51 PM  
Blogger GaffLady said...

i must admit, that would put a smile on my face.

9:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Mrs. Borderline put a smile on your face. Something that she obviously rarely does to others!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home