Nursing Voices

Monday, August 07, 2006

Dr. Peter Gleason


Ozier Muhammad/The New York Times

  • The New York Times

  • Imagine my surprise when one of my coworkers told me that a doctor we know was arrested by the FBI. She learned about the arrest in The New York Times. (See the link above).

    The author discusses the murky relationships between some doctors and drug companies. I’ve known many doctors who speak on behalf of drug companies. Personally, I’ve always wondered why doctors were allowed to help circumvent laws that prohibit drugs companies from promoting their products for uses not approved by the FDA. It’s one thing for a doctor to speak at a medical conference, or to publish evidenced based research in a medical journal about a new ways of using old medications, however it’s quite another thing to act as a pitchman for a pharmaceutical company. I’m not surprised that Dr. Gleason is in trouble, he was acting as a well paid sales rep for a pharmaceutical company, not as someone involved in serious medical researcher. However, I am surprised by the timing of his arrest. Why now, and why him? Gleason and others have been doing this kind of stuff for a long time.

    As I mentioned, I know Dr. Gleason. I feel sorry for his family. They are going through a lot right now, and I wish them well.

    2 Comments:

    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    9:45 AM  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    9:46 AM  

    Post a Comment

    << Home