Nursing Voices

Friday, August 04, 2006

Shut Up, Mel


(Warning: I’m hot, tired, and extremely opinionated today)

I think Mel Gibson is a chip off the old block. His father has made hateful statements in the press about Jews, and Mel was quoted as saying that his father has never lied to him about anything in his life.

As a psychiatric nurse, I’m very supportive of people who are working to make changes in their lives. I also understand that people can make serious mistakes. We all can do stupid things we later regret. But I don’t understand how Mel Gibson can make anti-Semitic remarks and then say that he doesn’t hate Jews. That’s like Richard Nixon saying, “I am not a crook.” If you’re old enough to remember that infamous quote, then you get my point.

People are saying that Mel was drunk and that he didn’t know what he was saying. It's true he may not have known what words were coming out of his mouth, but when someone is drunk, they become disinhibited, and blurt out what they really think.

Now in the light of day, and with his PR people working overtime, Mel says he sorry. Well, maybe I'm jaded, but I don't buy it. I'm offended by his comments, and I think he's a jerk.


Mel, just shut up!

7 Comments:

Blogger Keith "Nurse Keith" Carlson, RN, BSN, NC-BC said...

Hear hear!

8:26 PM  
Blogger ChristopherM said...

I've said things I have regretted while I was, shall we say, pixilated, but none of those things were ever untrue. He may not have meant to say it, but he sure did mean it. Whatta weasel!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Sid Schwab said...

Yep. I don't think alcohol makes you say things you don't believe... it justs loosens the inhibitors. So that Mel is the real Mel, and it ain't pretty

12:58 PM  
Blogger kario said...

Too bad for Mel he hasn't changed PR people since he made similar mean-spirited remarks about homosexuals several years ago. His apology was word-for-word the same with the exception of inserting "Jews" for "homosexuals". What a schmuck!

1:15 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

Mel blaming his comments on being drunk is a cop out. I agree with your opinion Nurse Ratched!

4:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Being drunk" is never a valid excuse. And why is this such a HUGE news story?

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home