Nursing Voices

Thursday, July 27, 2006

Good News!

Finally, Andrea Yates gets justice. Yesterday, a jury in Houston, Texas found Yates, a former nurse, not guilty by reason of insanity in the deaths of her five children. Yates suffered from post-partum depression, and was psychotic the day she drowned her five children in a bathtub. Yates believed she was saving her children from Satan.

Her 2002 convictions were thrown out on appeal last year after it was discovered that an expert witness for the prosecution lied on the stand.

I never understood how the first jury could send her to jail. Don't they have post-partum depression in Texas?


Just one nurse’s opinion.

5 Comments:

Blogger kario said...

Actually, I think they never admit wrongdoing in Texas. They just like to point fingers and mete out "justice". I am so glad Ms. Yates is being treated as she ought to be. My heart goes out to her.

12:37 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

Having spent my life in "cops" and having been so masochistic as to spend what seems like a small fortune on my doctorate in criminal justice, I have to agree with the position of the author and with Kario. Apparently the evidence presented by the disgraced witness was overwhelming, or, at the least, dispelled any reasonable doubt that the jury needs to acquit or find not guilty by reason of....I am not sure the first jury was even given that option in their final instructions. Sadly, the prosecution still may pursue the other counts and try Yates yet again for murder. It is my experience that much of this relies less on evidence and more on public opinion. Most prosecutors, after all, are elected......

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I followed this case from the beginning and always thought she should be found not guilty. My hubby didn't share my view until after hearing all the facts.. the depression, the trouble with hospitalizations, etc.

I cheered out loud when this second verdict came in.

12:42 PM  
Blogger Some Random Girl said...

OMG. she was a nurse?????? I had no idea!

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home