Nursing Voices

Saturday, July 29, 2006

In the Heat of the Night


Merciless heat + sitting idly at the computer while eating 5 gallons of ice cream = my expanding waistline. I never could get into a itsy-bitsy, teenie-weenie, yellow polka dot bikini, but now I can’t even squeeze into my “relaxed fit” jeans.

Shopping for ice cream was a great adventure. If you’re my age, you remember three favors of ice cream, chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry. Do you know how many types of ice cream they make now? I walked into the frozen food section at my local grocery store and went into flavor overload. What the heck is Cherry Garcia? Then came the question of fat content, yeah like ice cream is healthy for you. Who are they trying to kid, and what’s the point of eating low fat ice cream? Part of the fun is eating something decadent. If someone is that health conscious, they should eat a green leafy salad and call it a day.

I hope this heat wave ends quickly, while I can still waddle to the refrigerator.





Today’s Book Report

I found this book many years ago at a thrift store when I lived in Champaign, Illinois. After I read it, I couldn’t believe someone hadn't thrown it in the trash. Facts For The Married by William Lee Howard, M.D. was published 1912. In his book, Dr. Howard gives young couples advice on how to have a happy sex life. Wait a minute, I take that back. He told MEN how to have a happy sex life. He told women that good, obedient, God fearing wives are happy, so if they aren’t happy, it’s because they are evil, and they are going to hell. How’s that for being therapeutic.

I looked Dr. Howard up on the Internet (while I ate a third bowl of chocolate ice cream), and learned that he was more than just a chauvinist pinhead, he was a hateful bigot. Dr. Howard published an article in a 1903 medical journal that said African-American men are immoral because of their biology. Not surprisingly, Dr. Howard also hated gay men. He wrote extensively in the popular press, warning parents to keep their sons away from men he called “fairies." He also told parents to keep boys away from “embroidery, dolls, and make-believe tea parties with girl playmates.

I’m sure glad they don’t make doctors like that anymore.

4 Comments:

Blogger oncRN said...

dr. howard sounds like a real winner. nothing like a 'chauvinist, pinhead, hateful bigot' to warm the heart.
i have to put in my vote for cherry garcia - it has ice cream, chocolate, and cherries - all the food groups.

10:42 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

The late Dr. Howard's view on the role of women and sex is about like it is in the Muslim world today. Personally I would find such docile behavior quite boring:-)

12:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

if you had had the Cherry Garcia you might have had a different understanding.........doubtful, but maybe............cauzie

9:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home