Nursing Voices

Thursday, December 14, 2006

Attacking the Grill


Gerbil from Bite-Size Reviews is nudging me to comment about what’s going on at the Heart Attack Grill. Would you like fries with that rant? Sorry, I couldn’t resist. I wasn’t surprised when Sandy Summers got upset when she heard about the scantly dressed waitresses at the Heart Attack Grill. Sandy is the founder of the Center Nursing Advocacy. I’ve had the pleasure of speaking to Sandy in the past, and I think she is a very nice person. I’ve even written a few letters on Sandy’s behalf. However, sometimes I wish the center would stop making nurses look like a bunch of whiners. Some nurses need to lighten up and get a sense of humor.


If someone wears a short, tight nurse’s uniform with high heels while serving artery-clogging burgers, she’s probably not a nurse. Duh, you think? No one in their right mind is going to think that the grill’s waitresses are real nurses. Personally, I’m not the least bit offended by the Heart Attack Grill “nurses.” I’m no prude. And what’s up with the Arizona Board of Nursing? The nursing board asked the Arizona attorney general to put the kibosh on the grill’s use of the word “nurses,” saying, “only a person who holds a valid and current license to practice professional nursing may use the title ‘Nurse.’” Has the board been ingesting peyote at their meetings? No one at the grill was trying to practice nursing. They were just serving burgers and hoping for a big tip.


I get frustrated when I see nurses going after someone like the Burger Doc instead of supporting important federal legislation like the National Nurse Act. I’m amazed that there are still nurses who don’t grasp the importance of this bill, and who are actively trying to sabotage its passage in Congress. The American Nurses Association and the American Organization of Nurse Executives are the biggest offenders. I’m appalled that they call themselves nurse leaders. They are out of touch and don’t truly represent bedside nurses.





Nurses, let’s stop beating up burger flippers and get serious about raising the profile of nurses while improving health care in America. Please to go the National Nurse website to learn more about the bill.

12 Comments:

Blogger Spirit of 1976 said...

Why won't they let me wear a PVC miniskirt while I'm on shift?


Posssibly I'm (a) in mental health nursing, so don't wear a uniform anyway, and (b) I'm a guy.

Still, spoilsports.

I bet those burger-flippers still earn more than I do.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Kris said...

Eh, it's no worse than how nurses are portrayed in soap operas ("ooohhhhh, YES, doctor!"). But in my experience, most of the public find nurses to be very trustworthy and reliable, as well as professional. OK, so there's still a few who call in and INSIST on talking to the doctor, not "just the nurse". If they only knew that WE'RE the ones who really know what's going on! Had one poor devil that requested the doc start his IV. I laughed at him for a second before I composed myself and said that the doc was in seeing a new patient and wouldn't be available.

8:00 AM  
Blogger darkman said...

Im having a heart attack.

10:48 AM  
Blogger Dancing Bare said...

I think you've touched on an important issue here. We often dodge important issues by focusing on something trivial, where it's safe to dump our frustration, because there are no serious consequences.

As Dr. Ursa would say: GROW UP! CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES WISELY.

2:59 PM  
Blogger RNFaye said...

Well I see that the grill took the opportunity of making fun of Arizona Nurses Association.

Although I have decided to choose my battles,it is still a bit unsettling to see this as a nurse and as a woman. And it is disappointing when I observe young women using their bodies instead of their intellect. Some might do both, and some might be conscious of the exploitation, and hey, thats fine.

I'm no prude, and due to good genetics I could pull off a ridiculous outfit like that if I chose. Instead I choose to wait in the ER for those customers who are served by "nurses" at the heart attack grill, who will inevitably be saved by actual nurses from an actual heart attack as a result of eating that junk in the first place.
Eeew.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

Sometimes I feel like I ought to be wearing a waitress uniform.....

6:05 PM  
Blogger Dead Nurse said...

I usually just roll my eyes when I see the Center's latest campaign. While I generally agree that nurses don't have the greatest representation in the media, I think the Center takes the complaining a little far. I wish they'd just lighten up a little and focus on the bigger issues.

1:25 PM  
Blogger poody said...

How funnny that this would upset someone. Once when I was working in the trauma unit 3-11 shift I was coming home and lived right off of a very busy street downtown. It was a Saturday night about midnight. It had been a rough shift and I was covered in just about every excrement you could throw at me.I stil had my scrubs on and my stethoscope around my neck. I was dog tired and sitting at a red light. I looked up and lo and behold there stood a lady of the evening in spike heels with a scimpy little white flippy dress on and a nurse hat on her head with a stethoscope around her neck. She looked at me and I looked at her and we both just stared laughing. I rolled the window down and asked how her night was going "pretty good'she said. "I have made about $500 tonight". I remember thinking dang I got the right clothes and the wrong job! Was I offended by her garb? No way! I knew and she knew and her johns all knew she was no nurse!

2:40 PM  
Blogger M. Simon said...

I wonder how they will treat mothers who nurse their babies.

1:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bless you one hundred times over!

Glad to know I'm not crazy, that someone else thinks it's time to "pick their battles".

I'd rather see all that energy going to the National Nurse bill than to a pink-clad burger slinger. If anything the Center for Candy-Striper Advocacy should be upset - that is what they look like........

And I agree - Sandy seems like a pretty cool person!

2:12 AM  
Blogger .... said...

I posted the Heart Attack Grill on my blog too. I'd rather have a nurse with brains than one that serves hamburgers well.

I want to invite you to read my blog.

It is at http://wordworks2001.blogspot.com

I am a 59-year-old retired US Army master sergeant. I was compelled to start my site to alert unsuspecting patients that have been told they need a coronary bypass that you probably don't. I was told by an invasive cardiologist in April 2004, that my heart was in great shape, but I needed a quintuple bypass. Why, I wondered is my heart doing so good when the vessels that feed it oxygen are all clogged? Despite being told I needed surgery right away and that I was a walking time bomb, I got a second opinion and I am glad I did. Not only did I save myself from getting my chest cracked open in a major surgery, I saved a lot of money. PLEASE, get a second opinion whenever someone wants to give you a bypass. And read the entire blog.

7:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I also think that we should pick our battles. I sometimes feel like a waitress myself at the hospital. I don't think rational people will truly think that those girls are real nurses. The ones who do, we'll see in the psych units anyway.

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home