Nursing Voices

Thursday, October 05, 2006

Fly Me to the Moon



How time flies when you’re having fun. (Sorry, no pun intended). It seems like it was just yesterday when the summertime temperatures were in the triple digits, and now with Halloween just around the corner, merchants are gearing up for Christmas. Yes, it’s the new American holiday traditional. I’ll never forget when my oldest daughter wanted to go trick-or-treating dressed up like a Christmas tree. If you have a hard-to-buy-for person on your Christmas shopping list, CNN reports that the Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog is full of great gift ideas.




Do you know someone who wants to get away from it all? How about giving them a trip to outer space. That's right! For a mere 1.7 million bucks, you can charter a trip for six into the wild blue yonder. But wait, there's more! The package also includes an all-inclusive four-night stay on Virgin Chairman Richard Branson’s private retreat in the British Virgin Islands. The retreat sounds like fun, but I'd pass on the space trip. I get sick on roller coasters. Enough said.


One day nurses will go into outer space. Here’s Cindy, ready for action. She’s traveling to the lunar space station to give first class patient care. Doesn’t she look calm? I bet she’s an emergency room nurse. I’m amazed how E.R. nurses stay cool, calm, and collected even when everything around them is falling apart. Emergency room nurses have nerves of steel. Yeah, they rock!









As you may know, I idolize Nurse Chapel. She could do anything. When she wasn’t pining over Spock or pulling another double shift in Sickbay, she was whipping up tasty dishes in the kitchen. I want this book. It's the Official Star Trek Cooking Manual: Compiled by Mary Ann Piccard from the Logbook of Nurse Christine Chapel (1978, 1st printing). The Star Trek Cooking Manual contains over 100 favorite Star Trek recipes, all of them galactic, culinary delights. There are recipes for “tempting snacks, delicious main dishes, and luscious desserts from the farthest reaches of the Federation.” The book showcases the favorite recipes of Dr. McCoy, Kirk, Scott, Spock, and the rest of the crew. Recipes for Romulan, Klingon, and Vulcan ethnic dishes are also included in the book.

I’ve always heard that the quickest way to a man’s heart is through his stomach. Maybe that's why Nurse Chapel was always inviting Spock to her place for a bowl of plomeek soup.

11 Comments:

Blogger Lea said...

I love how you tie all of your ideas together. Your creativity amazes me, and so very early in the morning. Thanks for always entertaining me!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Thank you, Lea:-)

3:52 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Nothing like a Star Trek post to bring me back. Where are you getting all these great paperback covers?

And I wouldn't go on a roller coaster either, for love or money, but tell me I can go into space? I'm on it.

*rustle* *rustle*

Although I seem to have left the spare $1.7 mil I had floating around in the pocket of my other suit...

5:18 PM  
Blogger Mother Jones RN said...

Hello back, Curmudgeon:

Most of the books I show are from our book collection. I snag the other images off of e-Bay.
At one time, my husband owned a use bookstore, and I've collected books since I was a kid. My favorite books are the nurse paperbacks for the 1940s-1970s. I love the artwork on the covers.

9:01 PM  
Blogger scalpel said...

I too enjoy the artwork on those old book covers. Thanks for sharing them.

10:59 AM  
Blogger Julie, RN said...

Lea is right, I love how you wrap it all together. Any good tribble recipes?

10:30 PM  
Blogger Sid Schwab said...

Through the stomach works, but you have to open the left hemidiaphragm; if you go medially enough you can go directly into the pericardium.

11:49 PM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

I believe the quickest way to a mans heart is a black lace thong with not much anything else. I could be wrong and the stomach thing may be right but so far my theory is working pretty well.

JB

11:25 AM  
Blogger Kentucky Rain said...

Writer girl you are absolutely right; well, unless the thong, or its contents, have been "experienced" for a very long time. When that happens it is a matter of "what's for dinner?" That, at least from a male point of view, is just the way it is...... :-)

6:29 PM  
Blogger Jim McAndrew said...

I liked the old books and your comments.

8:31 PM  
Blogger Dr. Kirk Laman said...

Nurse Ratched I like what you write. Would you be willing to list me as one of your doc sites?

Thanks,

Kirk Laman, D.O.http://healingyourheart.blogspot.com/

10:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home