Nursing Voices

Thursday, August 16, 2007

Back to School Advice From Your Mama

The first day of school is just around the corner, and a lot of people are ecstatic. Trust me, parents from around the country have been marking the days off on their calendars in anticipation to the upcoming event. Students however, have mixed emotions about going back to school, especially nursing students. On the one hand, nursing students look forward to entering a profession that is held in high esteem, but on the other hand, they know that their life is about to be turned up-side-down. Never fear, Mother’s here, and I’m going to give you some tips on how to survive nursing school.



Here is student nurse Gail Weston. She is the picture of perfection. Her blue dress and white pinafore are spotless, and her nursing cap is sitting on top of her head like a crown. Nothing rattles her. She remains calm when everyone around her is loosing their cool. Do you need a student nurse in the room during code blue? Gail performs perfectly under pressure. She’s tireless, and she’s smart as a whip. Gail never misses a single answer on any test. What’s her secret to being the perfect student nurse? It's easy to be perfect when you are a fictional character in a book. There is no such thing as a flawless student nurse. Do your best when you are in school, but don’t make yourself crazy by striving for perfection.



This is student nurse Shirley Davidson and her heartbreak boyfriend, Dr. Gerald Trent. He’s whispering sweet-nothings into her ear. Shirley isn't sure if she will have the strength to give up her social life. Student nurses don’t have to completely give up their social life, but sometimes they definitely have to put it on the backburner. You can’t do well in your classes if you’ve been out partying the night before, and your instructors and fellow students will not think highly of you if you come to class smelling of alcohol. Granted, everyone needs to have a little fun, but it’s no fun taking a test, or taking care of patients while nursing a hangover. And yes, you can still have a love life while you are in nursing school, but your partner needs to understand that studying for school is going to take up most of your time. If your significant other really loves you, he or she will understand, and do whatever it takes to get you through school.



Unhand that woman, you fiend! You have no right to hurt her just because she’s a student. Students have rights, too. You have the right to work in an environment that is supportive and free of hostility. Unfortunately, there are people who enjoy being mean to students, but don’t let them get away with something that they shouldn’t do. Talk to your instructor if someone is disrespecting you, or if you are being abused.



Embrace your time in school. There are going to be days when you hate going to class, but it is your pathway to a more fulfilling and rewarding life.

16 Comments:

Blogger My Own Woman said...

Mother Jones, I'm kind of disappointed with you. You forgot to tell the students that "YES" they are allowed to take a piece of candy from the box when a patient is kind enough to buy it for the nurses.

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great reading Mother Jones, and most amusing too. I love the graphics!

9:55 PM  
Blogger Beth Coll Anderson said...

Gail Weston looks like Susan Sarandon.

7:11 AM  
Blogger rlbates said...

Good advice Mother Jones! and I agree with nurse jane--love the graphics!

8:57 AM  
Blogger NYC EMS said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:10 PM  
Blogger NYC EMS said...

You are a brilliant blogger and Im linking you to my front page!Im still laughing at this post and Im not a nurse.I think my readers will get a kick out of your blog.

12:12 PM  
Blogger jbwritergirl said...

I think the best experience I ever had was going to college for the first time at 45. I know it's been a long time but I'm back...only live. Come visit.
JB

1:05 PM  
Blogger The Curmudgeon said...

Older Daughter (the one who already has a B.A. in English) starts nursing pre-reqs on Monday. Your post is -- for me in particular -- very timely.

2:09 PM  
Blogger ~AprilD said...

I think if I had a boyfriend like Dr. Trent I think I'd want to stay in nursing school forever! This will be my last semester, I'll graduate bsn in December, and I'm almost SAD about it! I must be crazy or a glutton for punishment!!

2:25 PM  
Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

Those student nurses look like they are being taken advantage of, although the second one does have a low cut top on!

2:58 PM  
Blogger Bo... said...

I wish "Dr. Gerald Trent" would whisper sweet nothings in my ear. But usually, the doctors around here just holler at me with statements like: "For God's sakes, Bo, stop faxing me! I never get to my pile of faxes for at least three days. Just page me."

Okay, I'll page them. But then I just get boring orders for enemas or urine specimens---and that's not very romantic...sigh....

11:14 PM  
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

What a timely post for me! I start the dreaded Anatomy class Monday...along with several other classes. If all goes well, I should be starting a nursing program next August.

2:10 PM  
Blogger FetchingGal said...

This is my 1st September NOT having to go back to school... and no, I don't miss buying all the junk for my studies like hundreds of dollars in textbooks, ink cartridges, library fees... blechk. >:)

4:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great advice.

Ah, it's been a while since I was a student nurse, and if only my student life had been as romantically intrigued as these cover girls' are. I must have gone to the wrong nursing school! Love the cleavage shot - don't all students look like that?

2:57 PM  
Blogger Lea said...

MJ, just popping in to say hello. You continually crack me up!

1:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great :-)
My nursing school uniforms actually looked like those. Blue and white shirt sleeve stripe with white pinafore and little white cap. And no I am not 60 years old, that was the early 90's!

9:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home