Nursing Voices

Friday, November 09, 2007

Nike Helps Sick Children One Pair of Shoes at a Time



I love wearing Nikes. They feel good on my feet, and they help me run faster when one of my patients is going berserk. Now we all have another reason for loving Nike shoes. Nike has linked up with six kids at Doernbecher Children’s Hospital in Portland, Oregon to design their own unique shoe lines which will be sold at Niketown stores around the nation and on niketown.com. The kids – who have medical conditions ranging from kidney disease and brain tumors to arm reattachment and open heart surgery – have pretty amazing stories. My favorite story is about Alice Heinz. She is 14 years old and she designed a pair of shoes based on her mom’s nursing uniform because her mom has a hard time finding shoes to match her scrubs. Heinz’s blue and green Air Dunks have numerous details including the words “Live, Love and Laugh” on the shoes’ cup soles.

Proceeds from the sale of the new line of funky-styled shoes go directly back to the children’s hospital to fund research and provide care for uninsured kids. The program has raised $850k for the hospital since the first line of shoes went on sale three years ago. I think the whole idea is really cool.


Go Nike!

6 Comments:

Blogger Jean-Luc Picard said...

I must say I never wear Nikes, Reeboks or any sort of trainers/sneakers. They're not good for me.

3:13 PM  
Blogger mielikki said...

Gotta love Nike, but sadly, I can't wear them, either.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Bev Mahone said...

Although I'm a Reebok Boomer, I appreciate what Nike is doing so I won't yell and scream at my daughter the next time she wants to spend $250 on a pair of their shoes.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Anne said...

First let me say that I love this blog. Check it every day. Next--what Nike is doing is great, very inspirational, and obviously beneficial for these sick kids. But I do wonder about the kids in Indonesia and other countries who are employed in Nike factories for pennies a day, subject to physical and sexual abuse, and who get fired if they become sick or injured... maybe the company isn't so into children's health after all.

2:49 AM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Well...I have a couple of questions first before I get on the band wagon....has Nike stopped using child labour to construct it's shoes? And the funds raised are they going to non profit organizations....and how are they actually tracking the funds from the sales of these shoes....I think it is all well and good...but there is a part of me that is making that little voice inside of me saying there is more to it than we the average joe can see....I see this as another marketing ploy by a big coporation...never mind the shoes...if Nike wants to make a contribution for research into children's health then let them do it...why do I have to buy their shoes to make this happen.....

3:12 PM  
Blogger Medicoglia, RN said...

The child labor used to make Nikes is my concern too.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home