Nursing Voices

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Choosing to be a Nurse


Our good friends at NJO are giving away three nursing school scholarships totaling $5,000, and today I’m posting the essay of one of the contestants. Stella wrote about why she chose to go into nursing. If more young people like Stella enter nursing, I know that our profession will thrive. I feel honored that I’ve been asked to showcase this wonderful essay.

All of my life I have been fascinated with medicine. I watched as my mother cared for other people, and marveled at the way she just knew what to do and how to do it. I used to go to work with her from time to time and “help” her on her rounds. Most of the time, I was just providing company to the residents of the geriatric ward that my mother worked in, but sometimes I got to help out at mealtime.

My mom was always such a gentle soul, but she was fueled by passion. She loved what she did, and did what she loved. Her passion spilled over into every area of her life, and I treasure the memories and know that I have truly been blessed to know a person as wonderful as she is.

If I had to choose any one reason for why I chose nursing, she would be it. Words cannot express the dedication, honor, integrity, and love that I found in my mother. I chose nursing because I want to live my life like she did, with purpose and conviction. She made the world a better place one person at a time. I want to do the same. I want to make this world a brighter, better place just one person at a time. I want to be a nurse.



Thank you, Stella, for entering NJO’s contest. Your essay is inspiring and I’m sure your mother is very proud of you. To find out more about contest rules, visit NJO's website today. Deadline for entering the contest is March 19th.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home