Nursing Voices

Monday, June 26, 2006

Looking for Mr. Right, MD


My mother was thrilled when I told her I wanted to be nurse. I was 5 years old. To her, going to nursing school was the fastest way of finding a doctor and getting him to the alter. Yes, in 1959 being Mrs. M.D. was the American Dream. Many years later, I broke her heart when I married a furniture salesman.

After my divorce, I said I would never date a doctor. Why would I? After working all day in a hospital, I wanted to go out with someone who wasn’t in health care. But then I met an Aussie emergency room physician, Dr. Hot Stuff. He was dreamy. The blond hair, the blue eyes, his sharp wit, he was everything I was looking for in a man. And I always was a sucker for an Australian accent. My mother loved the guy. She started planning our wedding.

The nurses I worked with adored my suitor. When they called him for orders, they would ask him to repeat himself two or three times. He asked me if people couldn’t understand him because of his accent. I told him the nurses understood him; they just wanted to hear his sexy voice.

Unfortunately, all good things come to an end. I dumped him when I found out about his wife and six kids back in Australia. Yeah, he said they slipped his mind.

Nurses, have you ever dated a physician? Tell me your story.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never. But I was inappropriately asked for a date by an ER physician who called me at home after an ER visit for a corneal abrasion. He looked like George Carlin.

The problem?

I was 17 at the time. He was 34.

I told him no (blech)!

Turns out later he was in trouble for inappropriate behavior with female patients.

I married a lawyer. Or should say I married a student who later became a lawyer!

3:25 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, been there. A couple times in fact. Seems that working long hours and long stretches the only men I ever met were those at work...so I married a doctor or two - well three actually.

I was not and still am not a social butterfly and after a very short stint in the bar environment returned to my safety zone, the hospital.

yeah, I married them. I also divorced them. I can't say they were all similar in anyway, so not a pattern.....but now I am happily joined with a cop. Better understanding of crap work and night shift.

7:45 PM  
Blogger NocturnalRN said...

I would never marry a doctor! Can't even be attracted to one just knowing they are one. I knew a nurse once who basically went to nursing school to marry a doctor--I am sure you have seen the type. She had one (so she thought) until she found him in the call room in a compromising position with yet another nurse. Then she tried another. Then she turned into sort of a joke and the residents warned the new med students and interns about her. Last I heard she is still not married. Such a cute girl too, but too desperate. and obvious

2:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home